Security Sector Governance
Conference Entitled “Security Sector Governance in the Arab Region: What Role for Civil Society?”
Amman – Jordan
22-23 June, 2009
Under the patronage of His Excellency Mr. Nayef Al Qadi the Jordanian Minister of Interior, the Foundation for the Future organized a regional conference entitled ” Security Sector Governance in the Arab Region: What Role for the Civil Society?” This conference took place on June 22nd- 23rd, 2009 in cooperation with the Geneva-based Center for Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) and the Institute of Law (IoL) at Birzeit University (Palestine).
With growing acceptance of the concept of human security, and of the importance of spreading democratic principles, the definition of security is becoming gradually broadened. It is no longer defined in strictly militaristic terms and instead also emphasizes services such as health care and education. Bearing this in mind, the conference aimed to explore the roles which civil society organizations might play as essential partners for the improvement of the security sector.
Organizers: The Foundation For the Future in collaboration with Geneva Centre for Democratic Control of the Armed Forces and Institute of Law at Birzeit University.
General conference material:
- Conference Opening Speeches
- Statement of Mrs. Nabila Hamza, President, Foundation For the Future
- Statement of Dr. Cornelio Sommaruga, Vice Chairman, Board of Directors, Foundation For the Future
- Mr. Arnold Luethold, Head of Operations Africa & Middle East, Geneva Center for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces
- Statement of Mr. Ghassan Faramand, Director, Institute of Law, Birzeit University
- Statement of H.E. Mr. Nayyef Al-Qadi, Ministor of Interior, Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
- Mr. Mohamad Bin Ali Kouman/ Secretary General / Council of Arab Ministers of Interior
This conference was organized with the financial support of the European Commission